Job Specification - Care Assistant Apply Now
Job Title: Care Assistant
Reporting to:Home Manager/Person in Charge
Job purpose: To assist in the provision of care and work as part of the team to achieve required standards. To ensure Service Users retain their dignity and individuality. To be involved in the general activities of the Care Centre. To maintain a safe and secure environment for Service Users, Staff Members and Visitors.
Skills, Knowledge & Qualifications
- Genuine interest in working with the relevant Service Users group
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Team player
- Satisfactory Policy Check and check against the SOVA list
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Willingness to participate in Vocational Training Programme
- Previous experience of working with the relevant Service User group
- NVQ Level 2 in Care
- Ensure the highest possible levels of care are maintained by supporting and assisting service users when required with all aspects of daily living.
- Assist Clients in all aspects of their care needs, e.g. physical, emotional and spiritual.
- Provide supervision and attention when needed, ensuring Service Users retain their comfort and dignity
- Pay particular attention to assisting Service Users who have limited mobility, or physical, learning difficulties making the best use of aids provided
- Closely monitor Service Users who may be confused and/or who have behavioral problems
- Assist in the promotion of continence
- Assist in the delivery of care for Service Users who are dying or who have a progressive illness. Assist with last offices
- Observe care planning needs for Service Users and completed daily records as instructed and in line with the Company’s policies and procedures
- Assist in framework of social activities by interacting with Service Users and helping them continue with hobbies and activities in the Care Centre
- Answer Nurse Call system, giving assistance as required. Answer the door and telephone appropriately. Respond accordingly, and pass on messages promptly
- Report on well-being of Service Users
- Carry out regular checks on Service Users at intervals determined by senior Staff Members
- Make Visitors feel welcome. Provide refreshments. Assist as and when required
- Make and change beds, ensuring that rooms are clean and tidy, and commodes are empty, in line with the Care Centre’s disposal of waste policy. Ensure the Care Centre’s resources are used appropriately
- Clean and maintain equipment used by Service Users and Relatives e.g.Wheelchair’s, hearing aids, spectacles etc. Ensure the Care Centre is kept clean and tidy, in line with the Company’s attention to detail philosophy
- If applicable, care for Service Users clothing and rooms as named and ensure that all clothing is recorded and clearly marked
- Ensure full privacy and dignity is maintained for the dying and the bereaved in line with the Company’s policies and procedures
- Assist Service Users who need help during meal times, be aware of swallowing difficulties, dietary requirements etc. Assist with servicing of food/drinks as requested/required. Wash up as requested/required.
- Escort Service Users travelling to and from the Care Centre e.g. on social outings, hospital visits etc.
- Practice maximum integrity in all dealings with Service Users personal and financial affairs, and avoid abuse of the privileged relationship that exists with Service Users
- Report any changes in Service Users physical or emotional condition to the Home Manager or Person in Charge as applicable
- Provide comfort and company on a one to one basis for Service Users who are confined to their room for any reason
- Participate in Staff and Service User meetings as required
Training and Development
- Maintain and improve professional knowledge and competence.
- Attend mandatory training days/course, on or off site as and when required
- Participate in relevant NVQ training to achieve required qualifications
Health & Safety
- Report immediately to the Home Manager or Person in Charge any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a Service Users, colleague, self or another
- Understand, and ensure the implementation of the Care Centre’s Health & Safety policy and Emergency and Fire procedures
- Report to the Home Manager or the Handyperson any faulty appliances, damaged furniture or equipment or any potential hazard
- Promote safe working practice in the Care Centre
- Ensure that all information of confidential nature gained in the course of duty is not divulged to third parties
- Notify the Home Manager or Person in Charge as soon as possible of your inability to report for duty and also on your return to work from all periods of absence
- Promote and ensure the good reputation of the Care Centre
- Ensure the security of the Care Centre is maintained at all times
- Adhere to all Company policies and procedures within the defined timescales
- Ensure all equipment is clean and well maintained
- Carry out any other tasks that may be reasonably assigned to you
This Job Description indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as an exhaustive list.
Forest Pines Care reserves the right to amend this Job Description from time to time, according to business needs. Any changes will be confirmed in writing. Please note that you share with Forest Pines Care the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties and improve the effectiveness of your post.